BlackBerry Messenger simply allows you to communicate in ways that people without access to it don’t understand. Can this hair stylist from India imagine a world withough BBM? Yes he can. Would he like it? Now he wouldn’t.
Most everyone’s favorite mobile instant message application, BlackBerry Messenger is about to receive a major update taking BBM to version 6. There is no official release date for BlackBerry Messenger 6, however, unofficially, we are hearing that the application will come out soon.
New BlackBerry Messenger 6 features:
- The ability to play games and use your BBM user name as your gamer name
- Cross chats between users over BBM (and it looks like you and the other parties playing don’t have to be on each other friends list)
- Also, when we complete tasks on these new games our status will change to show what task we completed (sounds like its similar to the “show what i am listening to tab” and will probably have an option to share with your BBM contacts or hide it from your contacts)
- It also seems like on BBM6, BBM groups will be able to handle more members
- The new BBM6 will be supported on all devices running OS 5+ (at least for now)
- Looks like a mobile game developer company by the name of “Gamemachi” is working on game(s) for this new BBM6 platform. I wonder who else will be joining them?
Research in Motion may have no love for Kik Messenger or the company behind the popular cross platform instant messaging application, Kick Interactive, however, the BlackBerry Messenger-like service has gained over 3 million registered users in 3 months.
Kik-Messenger being BBM-like is undoubtedly the reason that Research in Motion suspended Kik Messenger services on the BlackBerry followed by a law suit claiming patent infringement, but, the delivered, read, and typing notifications Kik Messenger offers give ex-BlackBerry users that familiar BBM feel which has fed the popularity of the app.
It looks like there actually was a change log for BlackBerry Messenger 188.8.131.52 after all…
- Backup and restore – The option to automatically save your contact list to your device or media card when your contact list changes is on by default.
- Chats – You can do the following:
- View larger versions of pictures that you receive.
- Reply to voice notes by sending your own voice note.
- Clear draft messages from the chat field by pressing and holding the Shift key and the Delete key in an existing chat.
- Contact list screen – You can change the spacing of your contact list to a one-line format. Also, the layout of menu items has been improved to be shorter and easier to navigate.
- Text messaging – If you’re using BlackBerry Device Software 5.0 or later, you can change options so that you receive text messages in BlackBerry Messenger from BlackBerry Messenger contacts who are linked with a phone number in the Contacts application.
RIM also fixed the following issues:
- If you clicked a chat in the Messages application, it might have taken a long time for the chat to open.
- In some cases, after you clicked Send > Voice Note, it might have taken a long time for the voice note to start recording and an error message might have appeared.
- In group chats, the Copy and Paste menu items might have been missing for devices with a touch screen.
- If you tried to switch chats by sliding your finger quickly across a device with a touch screen, a new chat might have been opened with the contact.
- After you pressed the Escape key while playing a video, you might not have been able to scan a barcode.
- If you tried to update BlackBerry Messenger but the download was interrupted, such as if you cancelled the download, BlackBerry Messenger might no longer have appeared on your device. After downloading BlackBerry Messenger again, your contacts might not have been automatically restored by a local backup file.
There are also these known issues:
- You cannot send files to contacts in a multiperson chat.
Workaround: You can send files to contacts individually or you can share pictures within a group.
- Emoticons, including flags, that are in a contact or member’s display name might not appear correctly outside of chats and group chats.
- If a member shares a picture after the picture limit for the group has been reached, the picture replaces an older one but the picture counter might incorrectly update to one more than the group limit.
- If you set the option in a group to save pictures that members share to a media card, and if you share a picture with the group from the Camera application,
an extra copy of the picture might appear on your media card.
Workaround: You can share pictures from the pictures section of a group.
- If you share an existing appointment with a group, a duplicate appointment appears in the Calendar application on your device.
Workaround: To avoid duplicate calendar entries, you can create an appointment from within a group and share it with members.
- If you click View Calendar from a group update, the calendar incorrectly displays today’s date.
- If you register an email address that uses a BlackBerry Enterprise Server with BlackBerry Messenger, wipe your device, add new contacts or groups, and register the email address with BlackBerry Messenger again, your previous groups might not be recovered.
Workaround: You can try asking a person from the group to remove you from the group and re-invite you.
BlackBerry Messenger has been updated to version 184.108.40.206. As usual, RIM, hasn’t provided a change log, so, we aren’t sure about what is different. If you notice anything, leave us a comment and let us know about it. BlackBerry Messenger is a free BlackBerry download and you can pick it up in BlackBerry App World, or, OTA via www.blackberry.com/messenger.
Since Research in Motion officially released BlackBerry Messenger 5 users have reported issues with the BBM icon disappearing on various builds of the BlackBerry OS. To make a long story short, BBM 5 isn’t compatible with certain builds of the BlackBerry operating system.
To address this problem, Research in Motion has released KB article KB22308 ,which, basically, just lets you know that RIM is aware of the issue but that they haven’t found a resolution or have a time frame for when they will. RIM also updated the BlackBerry Messenger page on BlackBerry App World:
- Before downloading, please back up your contact list by displaying the menu within BlackBerry Messenger – Options – Back Up. (Available for BBM 5.0 and 5.0.1 users)
- Please ensure that you are using RIM or carrier approved BlackBerry® Device Software to avoid compatibility issues that may result in loss of the BBM icon. For more information, read article KB23968 (http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=KB23968)
- After installing the new version of BBM, please restart your device.
Update: The BBM download site appears to be working again. BlackBerry Help is says you can download BlackBerry Messenger 220.127.116.11 via the following link: http://www.blackberry.com/select/bbm/download.shtml
It looks like Research in Motion has decided that all BlackBerry users trying to download BlackBerry Messenger 18.104.22.168 simultaneously was not such a great idea after all and has temporarily pulled the update to arguably the best mobile IM client of all time. Either this was the case, or, BBM was prematurely released. Rumor has it that 22.214.171.124 will return, later this week, via BlackBerry App World.
Celebrities have been embracing BlackBerry devices for a long time. It looks like magazines devoted to covering the goings on of the famous and the infamous are starting to embrace the BlackBerry as well. Us Weekly is now sending the latest celebrity updates via BlackBerry Messenger. All you need to do get them is send an invite PIN to 226B95C0 or scan the barcode in the image above.
If you want to see thousands of pictures of Celebrities that use BlackBerry devices, head on over to Celebrity BlackBerry Sightings.
Word on the street is that Blackberry Messenger 126.96.36.199, currently officially available to BlackBerry Beta Zone members, will soon hit the BlackBerry App World Test Center becoming available to all.
BlackBerry Messenger 188.8.131.52 features include:
- New chat UI
- Updated picture posting feature
- Easier main contact menu
- The option to choose not to have connected BBM contacts’ SMS messages come through BBM
- Updated menu options for ease of use
- Add any text messaging contact and have them show up with other BBM contacts
- Overall movement between chats and group chat has been greatly improved
[Via BlackBerry Leaks]