Kevin over at Crackberry.com was able to get his hands on a few images of the upcoming BlackBerry Application Center which should make its debut in the BlackBerry Storm’s version 4.7 BB OS.
The BlackBerry App Center is Research in Motion’s answer to Apple’s App Store which will allow users to browse, search, and install 3rd party BlackBerry software hosted by carriers. I don’t expect, however, for the BlackBerry App Center to be nearly as comprehensive as the Apple App Store simply because BlackBerry users will still have other means for getting and installing applications on their devices.
We’ve got BlackBerry Application Center features and more screen shots after the jump…
BlackBerry Application Center Features:
- The Application Center will be available on 4.7 Storm devices and will be designed for the Storm touch screen UI.
- Carriers will be responsible for hosting the application data and sending updates to the directory to RIM.
- The main application screen will provide the user with a list of all applications that are available for install from the particular carrier for the specific device model and OS version. Incompatible applications will not be displayed.
- The main screen will provide the user the ability to quickly browse the application list, then view the available information about each application in a detailed description screen which shows the logo and full description. Installation will occur with one click (launches the web browser).
- The user will be able to access the Options > Applications screen from within the App Center (allowing the user to delete applications directly from within the App Center).
- The user will be provided with various status info: date the app list was most recently updated; notification that updates are available; option to reapplication list was completed, etc.
- Since the download and installation will be handled by the browser in this first release, the Application Center will not be capable of restarting the application / download intelligently.
- The Application Center will automatically check for updates daily.