If you ever make the mistake of asking pretty much any BlackBerry user that you ever meet what they love about their BlackBerry they will spend about 10 minutes telling you all the stuff that has vaulted the BlackBerry to the top of the list when it comes to smartphones and kept it there for the past 3 or 4 years.
Believe it or not, however, there are some things about the BlackBerry that are less than desirable and we’ve decide to clue you in to a few of them.
Here are ten things that we hate about BlackBerrys in no particular order.
1. The BlackBerry Browser is horrible — The BlackBerry is definitely not a device designed to effectively browse around the internet. It is truly amazing to me at just how slow and bad the BlackBerry Browser is and it has little to do with the small screen. Windows Mobile, Palm OS, Symbian, and just about every other mobile OS has a browser that could dance circles the BlackBerry. That’s not even to mention the browser on the iPhone. There simply is no comparison there.
2. The color of the BlackBerry you want is always on another carrier — For the passed couple of years, you have been able to, for the most part, get the same model BlackBerry devices from each of the carriers. The major differences are in the color schemes. I don’t know if it is Murphy’s Law or what, but, how is that that no matter what carrier you are on, the color of the BlackBerry model that you really like is on a different carrier?
3. No native HTML email support — Since 2002 has anyone, with the exception of BlackBerry users, sent an email that didn’t have some type rich text or HTML formatting embedded in it? We’ve heard that BES 4.1 SP5 is suppose to have this, however, this item remains on the list until it is widely available.
4. Can’t play YouTube videos — Why is it that every cool mobile phone except the BlackBerry can play YouTube Videos. I know that the BlackBerry doesn’t have the Flash player necessary to play YouTube videos. The question, though, is “Why?”
5. The Media Player — I never expected that the BlackBerry would ever truly compete with the iPod when it comes to consumers MP3 players of choice. I did, however, expect to to compete with other music phones not named iPhone. The BlackBerrys Media Player is so bad that RIM shouldn’t even list the ability to play music as a feature.
6. CDMA BlackBerrys come out a year after their GSM cousins — If you are like most Americans you probably don’t care and may not even know if your mobile device is GSM or CDMA. Outside of North America, however, most of Earth uses GSM. GSM BlackBerrys come out about a year in advance of their CDMA counterparts, but, seeing how most BlackBerry users (over 70%) are from North America and the majority of them are on CDMA networks, I don’t get why RIM makes such a large segment of it’s total user base wait so long to get new gear.
7. Too many frigging BlackBerry outages — I don’t know if the BlackBerry is becoming a victim of it’s own success, but, over the passed year or so, the number of major BlackBerry service outages has gone up dramatically. It seems like there is a major outage about every other month or so.
8. Way too many frigging BlackBerry outages — we know that we’ve already listed this, however, we hate continent wide BlackBerry outages so much that we decided to list this one a second time.
9. BlackBerry clock doesn’t automatically adjust to different time zones — I know that some BlackBerry users like that they have to manually change their time zone but I had cell phones back in the 90s that at least gave you the option to change time zones manually are have the network do it for you.
10. What do you hate about BlackBerrys? — We know that this list is going to differ from BlackBerry user to BlackBerry user so we will leave the tenth thing we hate about BlackBerrys to be discussed in the comments.