BlackBerry Traffic is finally out of beta and is now officially available to all in BlackBerry App World. For those of you unfamiliar with BlackBerry Traffic, it is a location aware application that allows you to plug in your destination and get your estimated time of arrival, plot out faster alternate routes, and even email your ETA to your friends. BlackBerry Travel is a free BlackBerry download and you can pick it up in BlackBerry App World.
Free BlackBerry Software
We just got word that YouMail Visual VoiceMail for BlackBerry has been updated to version 188.8.131.52 and includes the following new features:
- Better speed and reliability, with new status indicators that tell the user the precise status of their connectivity and data transmission.
- Improvements to YouMail’s already one-of-a-kind voice-to-text service designed to save users time and better inform them of data transcription status. YouMail is also offering a free trial of YouMail’s human-edited transcriptions.
- Bug fixes that allow for better interactivity with other apps, like DexRex, and improve the overall stability of the application, as well as improved functionality of services for YouMail premium subscribers and voice mail transcription.
YouMail is a free BlackBerry download that you can pick up on BlackBerry App World and we have two subscriptions for the the premium service to give away. If you’d like a premium subscription, leave us a comment. The first two people to comment get them….
Research in Motion has announced via Inside BlackBerry that Facebook for BlackBerry v1.9 with support for Facebook Places will be available on BlackBerry App World in North America within the next 24 hours. Facebook Places provides location based check-in services similar to Foursquare, Gowalla, Google Latitude, and other social check-in applications…
With Facebook Places, you can use your BlackBerry smartphone to conveniently share where you are, what you’re doing, and who you’re with. While you are checking in, you can tag a friend and include a comment to let your friends know what you’re up to. You can also see where your friends are and what they’re doing.
Head over to Inside BlackBerry for more information, or, over to App World to download…
SecondTab is a free BlackBerry application that allows you to open up a second BlackBerry Browser window and switch between them like you would any other running application by holding down your menu button. It isn’t exactly tabbed browsing, but, provides the ability to switch between browser windows which comes in handy quite often. One of the best things about SecondTab is that it is FREE!
RIM Announces Free BlackBerry Enterprise Server Express Software for IBM Lotus Domino
Wirelessly Synchronizes BlackBerry Smartphones with Lotus Email, Calendar, Contacts and More; Works with Business and Personal Data Plans
Waterloo, ON. – Research In Motion (RIM) (NASDAQ: RIMM, TSX: RIM) announced today BlackBerry® Enterprise Server Express for IBM Lotus Domino – free server software that wirelessly synchronizes email, calendar, contacts, notes and tasks between BlackBerry® smartphones and IBM Lotus Domino without compromising security. The software is available today here.
BlackBerry Enterprise Server Express uses the same robust security architecture of the market-leading, premium BlackBerry® Enterprise Server, and includes more than 75 of the over 500 smartphone controls and IT security policies available with the premium version of BlackBerry Enterprise Server software. It supports BlackBerry smartphones on business data plans as well as most personal data plans*.
“BlackBerry Enterprise Server Express is a free download that is designed for businesses of all sizes. It provides an easy way for businesses to get started using BlackBerry smartphones with IBM Lotus Domino and it’s also an ideal no-cost software solution for businesses that want to allow their employees to connect their personal BlackBerry smartphones to their work email,” said Jeff McDowell, Senior Vice President, Enterprise and Platform Marketing at Research In Motion.
“There’s tremendous growth in work force mobility, from small businesses through to major corporations, and there is clear evidence that shows how smartphones can increase organizational responsiveness, improve productivity and help employees make the most of their time,” said Ed Brill, Director, Messaging and Collaboration, IBM Software Group. “BlackBerry Enterprise Server Express is a great opportunity for businesses to cost-effectively extend Lotus Domino to more employees on BlackBerry smartphones.”
With BlackBerry Enterprise Server Express connected to IBM Lotus Domino, BlackBerry smartphone users will be able to:
- Wirelessly synchronize email, calendar, contacts, notes and tasks
- Manage email folders and search email on the mail server from their smartphones
- Book meetings and appointments, accept meeting requests, check availability and forward calendar attachments
- Set an out-of-office reply
- Access files stored on the company network
- Use mobile applications to access business systems behind the firewall
For IT administrators, BlackBerry Enterprise Server Express includes:
- A Web-based interface that allows remote administration and makes it easy to deploy applications over the air, connect and manage BlackBerry smartphones, and apply usage policies
- Over 75 IT controls and policies, including the ability to remotely wipe a smartphone and enforce and reset passwords
- Employee self-service tools for securing a lost or stolen device
- BlackBerry Enterprise Server Express works with Domino Enterprise Server and Domino Messaging Server. It can support multiple Lotus Domino domain environments from a single Web-based administration interface and can be run in parallel with the premium BlackBerry Enterprise Server software for the same instance of IBM Lotus Domino.
Software, the BlackBerry® Clients for IBM Lotus Sametime, Lotus Connections, and Lotus Quickr, and other enterprise-grade systems. The premium BlackBerry Enterprise Server is ideal for managing company-issued BlackBerry smartphones, whereas the free BlackBerry Enterprise Server Express is an ideal option for securely connecting employee-owned BlackBerry smartphones to the corporate network without adding software licensing costs to the company.The premium version of BlackBerry Enterprise Server for IBM Lotus Domino provides more extensive mobile device management capabilities, over 500 smartphone controls and IT security policies for more granular control, and is required for add-on solutions such as BlackBerry® Mobile Voice System, Chalk Pushcast
BlackBerry Enterprise Server Express for Lotus Domino is available today in seven languages, including English, French, Italian, German, Spanish, Japanese and Brazilian.
We just got word that Rent.com has released a mobile app for the BlackBerry which allows consumers to hunt for the perfect apartment on the go.
The free, user-friendly app lets users search for apartments, call or e-mail property owners and manage their favorite listings, right from their mobile phones. The app automatically syncs with each user’s Rent.com account and apartment-hunters can even attach their own photos and notes to listings to help them remember the details of a property after they visit. Plus, once you find the apartment of your dreams through Rent.com, you can report your lease through the app in order to claim your $100 Visa debit rewards card.
Rent.com is a free BlackBerry download and you can pick it up in BlackBerry App World or OTA via the following link: http://www.rent.com/mobile/BlackBerry?linkname=splash_BlackBerry_Button
This article was originally published on Simple Mobile Review. It has been edited to include new information.
If you are a BlackBerry user and have the need to take screenshots from time-to-time, I would highly recommend using Screenshot. I started using a free app called Capture It which is a great app, but Screenshot takes it to a whole new level and for only 99¢ in AppWorld. There is a free version of Screenshot in the RIMarkable Store, but I have not had a chance to try it out. After writing this the paid version on the RIMarkable store increased from 99¢ to $2.99 so buying on AppWorld makes sense for now.
[Read more…] about Easily Take Screenshots On Your BlackBerry
OANDA has just released a new free forex trading application, fxTrade Mobile for BlackBerry, that gives users access to the tight spreads and immediate execution of OANDA’s leading forex trading technology.
OANDA fxTrade Mobile for BlackBerry takes advantage of familiar BlackBerry controls, like the menu bar and trackball or trackpad, for intuitive navigation when trading on the fly. The app grabs data from OANDA’s servers automatically and updates charts and rates in real time—without the need for users to refresh the screen.
fxTrade Mobile for BlackBerry features:
- 24/7 trading on 54 currency pairs and 4 precious metal pairs
- Market trades and limit orders executed with a single click
- Trade from multiple screens within the app: Rates, Buy/Sell, Positions, and Trades, updated in real time
- Limit orders: take profit, stop loss, trailing stops, lower and upper bounds
- Custom views of real-time exchange rate data
- Candlestick and Min/Max charts in color, with multiple time frames
- Dynamic account values: unrealized/realized P&L; margin used/available; net asset value
- Email OANDA customer service from inside the app
- Connect through Wi-Fi, 3G, or mobile network
- Compatible with 9000, 9650, and 9700 series devices
To download fxTrade Mobile for BlackBerry on your Bold, head to http://m.oanda.com/rim via your devices browser.
The official Twitter for BlackBerry application has been updated to version 184.108.40.206. Not a lot of changes from the last version as far as we can tell. Twitter for BlackBerry is free BlackBerry download and you can pick it up in BlackBerry App World, or, OTA by pointing your device’s browser to http://www.blackberry.com/twitter.
Foursquare for BlackBerry has been updated to version 1.9.9. This version is mostly a service upgrade offering improvements to battery life as well as connection logic for push notifications. Foursquare for BlackBerry is a free BlackBerry download and you can pick it up in BlackBerry App World, or OTA by pointing your devices’s browser to http://www.foursquare.com/blackberry/beta.